Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Once upon a time... happy birthday!!

Have I told you how I went into labor with my littlest, Declan? I wrote about how my contractions started pretty early here. My contractions came and went for a week and a half. I remember always waking up late in the evening to contractions and then falling back asleep. After what happened earlier, I never really paid any attention to my contractions.

So, here I am, laying in bed and waking up to my contractions. I turn over and try to fall back asleep, but I can't. It's about 5:45 am. I manage to fall back asleep but wake up again soon after. This time they're stronger but I pay no attention to them and try to fall back asleep - not happening. I tossed and turned for about 20 minutes until I had the sudden urge to use the bathroom. *warning: the next few sentences may be a bit disturbing for others and not intended for those with a weak stomach*
So, I sit on the toilet, expecting to pee but instead a gush of fluid comes out of me. Is this what I think it is? Did my water actually break? No, it didn't break... I'm going crazy. Ohhhhhh yaaaa, it broke. Owww Owww Owww. Wake Michael up - NOW!!! Once I was done talking to myself. I yelled for Michael. My contractions went from a pain level of 3 to 9 in a second! They hurt like crazy and I just wanted to cry. After waking Michael up, telling him my water broke and that I was in so much pain, we had to figure out who could watch the kids. I remember him frantically searching for my phone and his phone on my night stand, still half asleep. I laugh now, but it wasn't funny then. After calling my brother and SIL, we started calling our neighbors. At the time my brother and SIL lived about 20-25 min. away from us and there was no way I could wait that long, so making a couple calls, we were finally able to get a hold of one of our fab neighbors. She came right over, with no hesitation and I was ready to book it to the hospital. I had my hospital bag in hand, sweater on, boots on and the only thing - or should I say, person - I was waiting on was Michael. Instead of running to the door with me, he decided to make his way to the kitchen, grab a shaker, fill it up with protein powder and then fill it up with water. I watched him do this in so much pain and it felt like it was taking him FOREVER to fill that f'ing shaker up with f'ing water. Seriously - FOREVER! I definitely yelled at him, reminding him that I was in fact, in labor. Oh hey, remember me? The woman in labor and having contractions every 10 seconds. Oh and did I mention that they hurt like a MF!??? So, shaker is filled, thank goodness! And off we go.

It snowed over night, so when we left, the roads were slippery and covered with snow. It was also 7:30 AM, on a weekday. Usually, when it snows over night, it seems as though eople forget how to drive the morning of. There are always accidents all over the place, people rushing to get to work so they're speeding or not yielding to other cars, of course there's an accident waiting to happen. So that morning, Mike and I were stuck in traffic - bad! We were honestly moving every 5-10 minutes. At this point, it felt like he was coming out, like now! So I tell Mike that he needs to find a different route or else I'm having this baby in the van. He pulls over into a Husky parking lot (it normally take 10 minutes to get to this husky from our house, but it took us 30 minutes that day). He calls 911 and we wait. The ambulance and fire crew came right away. As soon as they came, I can hear them all talking to Mike and after finding out that this was baby number 3, they all pretty much said, "ya, this baby is coming any second. let's get her in the ambulance. we might not make it to the hospital". Screw that noise. I am having this baby in the hospital, on a bed with an epidural!!! They take me out of the van (it was freeeeezing out!) and put me on a stretcher and into the ambulance. On the ride there, my contractions got even worse and I just wanted to push at this point. It honestly felt like he was trying to come out but I was motivated to keep him in and get my epidural. I'm guessing half way there, the paramedic asked me how I was doing and if I thought I was  ready to have the baby now. I ask him if he had epidural on him. He said no. I tell him that there was no way that I'd be having this baby without an epidural, so no, I am not ready to have this baby. He was fine with my answer and also said, "ok, that's good to know because I haven't delivered a baby in years and am not feeling confident." Glad we're on the same page, just get me to the hospital ASAP! So we get to the hospital and they wheel me in, nurses and doctors are running towards me and I'm laying there asking for the epidural. They wheel me into a room and transfer me to a bed and the doctor who was on call, walks in and says, "alright, sounds like we're ready to have a baby." First off, where's my epidural and second, Mike isn't even here yet. I asked for the epidural a few more times. I barely spoke, I was in that much pain. The only word that could come out of my mouth was, epidural. Mike shows up and the anesthesiologist shows up a few minutes later. Hallelujah! Needle in, epidural in, and within a few minutes, I was pain free and able to talk. As soon as I started talking, the nurse I had said, "Oh, so you do speak english. I was beginning to think you couldn't." I don't blame her for thinking that because I honestly did not speak a word other than "epidural" to her. She would ask me questions and I wouldn't answer. She'd ask me more questions, and I still wouldn't answer. We definitely laughed at that.
After getting the epidural, Mike showing up and then my mom (or was it the other way around?), I was able to get a bit of rest and soon after I woke up, I was ready to go. And after a couple minutes of pushing, he arrived! Declan Garland Donahue. When my doctor weighed him, he was 9 lbs even. She then said, "No wonder you wanted that epidural. He's huge!". A few minutes later, my nurse came in with my folder  of records and said, "So he's 9 lbs, your second baby was 8 and your first was 7. Are you planning on having another one? If so, be prepared for your next to be 10. You're on a roll." Ha ha ha.... eh ya, not happening.
He was finally here and I fell in love all over again. Now, 2 years later, I'm amazed at how much he has grown and the fact that all this happened two years ago. I know everyone says this, but, where has the time gone?



To the baby boy who has me falling in love, over and over again, every morning when I see that smile - you'll do great things and I'll always be here cheering you on, front row and center. After all, I am your number 1 fan. Happy birthday, buddy! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment